View Single Post
07-24-2010, 02:43 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
Like you said, it's all in a balance. You still need to eat balanced meals, through out the day too.

Instead of carb loading though before games, try to have a slice of bread or two and something high in protein.

I'm not expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but the anaerobic nature of hockey causes your body to burn it's fat reserves naturally. By carb-loading, you're not going to allow your body to get to that point during a game. You definitely need to eat enough to have energy for your games, and just general living. You need to eat until your not hungry, and stop.

The best thing after games for me isn't carbs at all, but fruits. High natural sugars. Even a glass of orange juice after a game will make me not hungry anymore. Bananas, apples, and other fruits like melons work really well too.

NOT eating is possibly the worst thing you can do.
You took the words out of my mouth. After a game, especially a late one it's a protein shake and a banana for me. That's just my personal favorite.

It seems like the OP is under the impression you need to load up on carbs like you're running a marathon on game night and it's just not the case. Something as small as a baked potato or a sweet potato will give you enough energy to play a mens league game. You don't need to eat pancakes for breakfast, a bagel for lunch and spaghetti for dinner. One of my favorite pre-cardio snacks is a piece of whole grain bread with peanut butter. On a game day I'll eat either a piece of chicken or fish with either a potato or brown rice about for dinner then depending what time the game is, have a piece of fruit or the PB on whole grain bread.

It's all about eating the right things at the right time, and skipping breakfast is a definite no no.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote