View Single Post
Old
07-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Dennis Bonvie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
So you want to make an argument that the Original 6 was better than when Hull played, then Orr in the 70's, then Gretzky in the 80's to today where the level is extremely high due to training and the influx of more top level talents from an increase in the parts of the world that produce hockey players now?

I have no doubt that Harvey was the best Dman of his time but I doubt that he would be nearly as great in a later era and today he would be considered small in the NHL for a Dman.
Hull did play in the original 6 era.

Keith Duncan & Brian Rafalski are small for Dmen today too. They do OK, being around the same size as Harvey.

Charlie Simmer & Tim Kerr played in the 70s & 80s. They make Hal Gill look like a speed skater. Both multiple 50 goal scorers.

Gretzky was perhaps the weakest player in the league as well as one of the lightest. Didn't seem to hurt him.

Ron Francis couldn't skate well and you could stop his shot with spit. Only the Great One has more helpers in his career.

In the original 6, no one carried a goon. Today some teams carry more than 1. 4th liners were usually penalty killers who rarely played much at even strength. Today some teams play a 4th line for 10 minutes a night. Original 6 had the top 6 goalies there were. Much more consistent than today's top 60.

What I hear is bigger, stronger, faster means better. I don't buy it. I believe the top players in the game would be top players in any era they played in.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote