View Single Post
Old
07-24-2010, 08:50 PM
ReverseSweep
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
I think that is a very good question in regards to him playing in North America or not. When will he be ready? He's got the best shot from the point of any D prospect we have right now. You could argue that Martinez can unleash it, but Voinov's shot is heavy and accurate. He has some moves and ability with the puck, but could greatly improve on his quickness and defensive awareness. To me, this is a vital developmental year for Voinov, where he should be pushing for a spot in LA or becoming a top defenseman for the Monarchs. To me he is not far away, but if he somehow retards his development by going back to Russia, I doubt he makes it back. The Russian system isn't producing many good D men as it is. There is no way that league is going to better prepare him to make an NHL squad. More like help to instill bad habits, and soft zone play.

I also think that any player on the cusp of making any NHL team, and there are only 30 of them, is looking at this opportunity as more than just having an employer. Making the NHL is a pretty big frickin deal for any hockey player in the world. It's the playground reserved for the best in the world. If your competitive spirit goes only as deep as your pocket book, then you're not much of an athlete.
If he is making a statement that he makes the Kings or else, might as well just use him in a trade and get an asset for him if DL and TM do not think he's ready to be brought up. Ultimatums tend to backfire anyway.
I'd like to see him play out and mature but if he wants to go and he's not ready, then let him go. I'd hate to start losing games because a player is not capable to keep up with everyone. Then they become a liability.

ReverseSweep is offline   Reply With Quote