View Single Post
Old
07-25-2010, 07:29 AM
Cams

vCash: 500
Mid '90s, the group I skated with in the summer - One guy showed up a few times with all this fancy Red Wings bag, pants, etc. I figured he was some kind of hot shot pick up player who has a huge Wings fan - turned out he was amazing skater, solid, awesome shot - Aaron Ward. Nice guy too. Very quiet and humble.

The group on the ice before that included Ed Jovanovski.

Another more recent summer group on the ice before my group included: Steve Ott, Tim Gleason, as well as a bunch of other former Windsor Spitfires still hanging around here in the summer. Ott is an awesome guy - so is his father. I used to hang around with that group of players quite a bit. Also - Cam Janssen is a great guy too. His parents are awesome - had many a beer with his Dad.

Bob Probert is truly a nice guy too - his daughter played before mine. Big man, but a super nice guy to talk to. Very quiet.

I used to also play with a bunch of RCMP officers in the mid '90s (scheduled my university classes around that ice time). Got to play with former Hartford Whaler Mark Renaud - father of the later Flames prospect Mickey Renaud. For a smaller guy - he could skate! Also - great shooter.

Another cool guy is former Leafs defenseman Jim Dorey. My Dad and him are buddies from when they were young and growing up together in Kingston.

Funniest NHL player encounter - my wife and I were in Toronto for a Leafs game - against Edmonton I believe. We stay at the same hotel where the visiting team stays. We go out for a walk for lunch, and Ty Conklin is walking across the street coming the opposite way. He smiles and gives my wife the "how you doin'" wink.

Cams is offline   Reply With Quote