Old
07-26-2010, 01:31 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
Hull did play in the original 6 era.

Keith Duncan & Brian Rafalski are small for Dmen today too. They do OK, being around the same size as Harvey.

Charlie Simmer & Tim Kerr played in the 70s & 80s. They make Hal Gill look like a speed skater. Both multiple 50 goal scorers.

Gretzky was perhaps the weakest player in the league as well as one of the lightest. Didn't seem to hurt him.

Ron Francis couldn't skate well and you could stop his shot with spit. Only the Great One has more helpers in his career.

In the original 6, no one carried a goon. Today some teams carry more than 1. 4th liners were usually penalty killers who rarely played much at even strength. Today some teams play a 4th line for 10 minutes a night. Original 6 had the top 6 goalies there were. Much more consistent than today's top 60.

What I hear is bigger, stronger, faster means better. I don't buy it. I believe the top players in the game would be top players in any era they played in.
Yes I know that you are, for the most part preaching to the converted here with this post, but comments like you could stop Ron Francis shot with spit?

Comparing 6 goalies with the starters and backups in the NHL today? Some really good goalies not playing in the NHL like Nabokov next year but that's besides the point isn't it?

It's not just the size and speed of the players (but that is a part of it) it's everything from coaching to training to the systems that teams play today compared to past times is like night and day.

Tthis is the frustrating part of people that make these comparison on here and do not take into account the full differences form any year to nay other year and make the assumption that everything from talent to the % chance of winning anything stays the same in 1960 6 team NHL of 2010 30 team NHL.

Back to the thread, the bottom line is that it is much easier to win an award in a 6 team league than a 30 team league and that's the point i was trying to make with Harvey and the assertion that he was the best defensive Dman of all time. That and the fact that most people on these boards probably never saw him play during his career and are just reading "reports and "hockey history books" which are lacking behind baseball in objectivity and research behind some of the assertions made.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote