View Single Post
Old
07-26-2010, 11:34 AM
LeftCoast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
With this major piece of off-season work out of the way, it is time to get working on the cap.

Do you move Bieksa for prospects with Salo injured?

Shane O'Brien - clear more cap space?

And where for art thou Willie?
Personally, I don't think the Salo injury changes things w.r.t. Bieksa. He is going to be moved and we really can't afford to take back much (or any) salary in return.

I'm of the mind that we keep SOB. His issues last year were off the ice. If he has a brain at all, he will now recognize how his lack of discipline and professionalism cost him at the bargaining table. I'm not sure who his agent is, but if he is truly and advocate, he would also have made this point to SOB. As far as his play on the ice goes, I think he really settled down into a useful role. He cut his PIMs from 196 in 2008-09 to 79 in 2009-10, he moves the puck well and, when needed, provides some toughness which will be needed in Bieksa's absence.

Re: Mitchell, I think you mean "where" rather than "wherefore" (which means "why"), but I'm not sure there is a place for Willie. A 1 year, incentive laden deal seems attractive, but if he is healthy, we would like him to hit all of his incentives, in which case, we would be either over or up against the cap limit.

I'd be willing to start the season with Rome and O'Brien as the third pairing and hope Salo is healthy by January. But a healthy Mitchell for the stretch drive and into the playoffs is very, very attractive.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote