View Single Post
Old
07-26-2010, 01:23 PM
3rd Guy High

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
On defense, keep your eye on the puck when you try to strip them of it. Don't get distracted by their feet or stick. Trying to read their movements is how you get deked out. Just look for the puck and attack it at all costs.
Sometimes I wonder where people were taught to play hockey.

When on defense always look at the logo on their chest, keep your stick in tight so you can always extend your stick further out to poke check. By doing this you will only get beat physically (skating) rather than mentally, where they just dangle you because you are looking at the puck.

Worry less about getting the puck on defense and more about getting the puck away from them. Then you can worry about getting it.

Other than that, it's really all instincts, which you gain by playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
There is only one correct answer to this:

The only way to play your best hockey is to NOT think at all while playing and be completely enveloped in the moment. Organically react to what's going on around you and act in the moment as if you, the puck, the ice, your stick... everything, is all an extension of one another. Trying to think about what to do on each drill or play is futile. The more you devote to "making a decision" for a move or a maneuver... the less in the moment you are, the less likely you are to succeed.

In that same vein, don't think about it after it happens. The moment has passed. Focus on the next drill or play BEFORE it happens, visualize what you might want to do, visualize yourself actually doing it and get the thinking about it over with BEFORE it happens. When you go up again for the next drill, don't think at all.

I've been playing hockey for 19 years (I'm almost 24) and I played 4 years of NCAA DI hockey. Whenever I talk about the concept of trying to clear my mind and not worry or stress about every day things I find myself saying that I simply can't; that my mind is too active and that I can't help but think about things that are stressing me out, etc. I've come to realize that there is ONE time in my life when I am NEVER thinking and that is when I'm on the ice. My hockey playing is completely reactionary and instinctive.

You shake it off by hardly acknowledging it.
This pretty much sums it up. The more you think about it, the more it hurts your play. Just go out there and play.

3rd Guy High is offline   Reply With Quote