View Single Post
Old
07-26-2010, 02:15 PM
EasyMac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It can definitely bite you if the player doesn't develop, but it's a reality of the leverage these non-arbitration players have if they've shown something at this level. If you're concerned about what an offer sheet might bring with it... then you have to react accordingly.
The Carter offer was a bit higher then I would have expected even if they were worried about offer sheets. At that time, I would be surprised if team were willing to give up two 1sts/2nd/3rd for Carter, which would be required once they hit the $5,231,249 mark. Anything in the $3,923,437 - $5,231,249 would only be 1st/2nd/3rd and I think that is the limit of what teams would be willing to give up. So the Flyers signed him at the high end of the window. I think if they would have waited, they likely would have gotten at worse a similar price by matching, or an even better price when no offer sheet occured (as they don't happen near as often as people seem to think - the general "If he wants more then that, let another team sign them and take the picks" you hear every offseason).

Though all it takes is one crazy GM. Of course we already have our own who is the most likely GM to overpay for a player.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote