View Single Post
Old
07-27-2010, 10:48 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Really? I find it somewhat disappointing that out of all 30 NHL teams we have a repeating team appearance within a four year history. I would bet the Sharks are due for a classic appearance with 3 of the better players in the world just for an example. I'm sure the west coast teams are thinking WTF? Obviously the game can be held in any cold weather market regardless of what teams are involved as established by the first game. How about we make it a little more international since Canada is hockey mad and the NHL is a league of two nations. Maybe a battle of the two nations capitals and have the Sens play the Caps? That would be cool and way less lame. Hell even Vancouver vs Boston would be more interesting to me and at least we could watch a couple of ex- Panthers go at it! I guess what I'm saying is that for true hockey fans there is a lot more than Crosby vs Ovi and it's a little insulting to keep throwing that matchup in our faces.
Because the Winter Classic is a marketing event. It's also apparent that they do it on a somewhat regional basis so that fans of the opposing team can drive out to the game. It would be difficult to have a southern team like San Jose in it because it's simply too far from northern cities that it could be held in. Maybe it'll stop being a regional thing, but thus far, it has proven to be. And I doubt there will ever be a Canada/American game, it simply isn't the best move from a business perspective. Canada doesn't need any help in regards to NHL fans and viewers.

And again, the game isn't for "true hockey fans." It is a media event.

Also, Boston just played last year, you wouldn't mind seeing them twice in a row, but not he Penguins?