Old
07-27-2010, 10:36 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I actually agree with all of this.

What I don't agree with is the plethora of one and two year stopgaps we've seen this offseason that serve no purpose other than to make the team quasi-competitive next year. It retards development of the kids if it turns out that they are ready and insures that we never get a draft pick where we can get a true offensive difference maker. I have no problem finishing in the middle of the pack if it's on the back of the kids, but if it's on the back of short term mercenaries, it does no good towards the ultimate goal of winning the Cup - and potentially could impede the process since it prevents us from drafting the elite offensive talent we'll need to go with the goalie and the stable of homegrown Dmen.

Now, maybe I'm missing something. Maybe tomorrow we'll hear that Slats has acquired Brassard and Hodgson in back to back deals for a total of Gilroy, Prospal, Christensen and the Caps' second rounder. Or maybe Slats is stockpiling assets that he might actually sell at the deadline this year. But as it is, I simply don't think it's in the team's best interest to be accumulating B-level players on one-two year deals to alternate 3 game win streaks with 3 game losing streaks towards an eventual finish around 15-18th in the league.

I've been using this phrase a lot lately: the lesser of two evils. So far this offseason, Slats has given us the lesser of two evils. I'm glad it hasn't been the greater. But that doesn't mean I'm going to applaud.

C-. It would've been a straight C, but the Boogaard insanity cost him half a grade.
I couldn't agree more.

Fact is, if teams like the Hawks, Pens, Caps, Ducks, etc. have shown us anything over the past few years it's that the way to win in the new NHL (with its cap) is with young, cheap, top-line talent.

Are we are Frolov away from the Cup? No chance. Frolov at best takes us from 10-15 to 7-10. And continually making moves to find a way to finish 7-10 isn't gonna get us any closer. One or at most two years of sacrifice to get our already deep prospect pool a Backstrom, Kane, Stamkos, Duchene, or Seguin is what will get us there. That is why I am sick of continual stop-gaps.