View Single Post
07-28-2010, 12:56 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
I'm a beginner as well as most of the regs here know and having transitioned from other sports, have to say hockey is MUCH harder than basketball, baseball, or almost any other sport you will or have attempted.

If in basketball you make a bad pass, the other team steals it/beats you for a rebound, you've got some time to get back up court on "D". Not so in hockey, esp as a beginner because the transitions from when you are on "O" and have to get back on D to stop a breakaway/3-on-2 etc., are almost instantaneous.

As a beginner you have no instincts/experience in judging how a play will turn out a few seconds from the moment you are in, and your skating sucks, so you're always a few steps behind everyone else.

Think of it this way, in basketball, a good shooter hits half the time, while in hockey, you will fail at almost every offensive effort you try. A BB team scores 60 times per game, so there is far more success, a good rebounder gets 15 boards per game, etc., - but in hockey, even the best players will fail again and again.

You will also feel far more contact in hockey - even in a no-check league - than you will in any other sport besides tackle football.

In hockey, you have to expect to fail, and gird yourself to it, it is a grinding sport with rare successful events, just tiny ones, like clearing the puck and not screwing up by flubbing a pass as a beginner does often. Just keep working at it, keep skating often - 4x per week at least, and you will improve. I still stink, but can dangle most beginners whereas just a few months ago I'd regularly fall over wearing all of the equipment taking a sharp turn...
I think jumping into ANY sport with experienced players is going to be difficult...just keep working on skating specific classes in the meantime...the hardest thing is learning to skate. Shooting, Passing, Positioning, all of that comes once you know how to use your feet.

For something like baseball or basketball, you already know how to run, although there is always footwork to bring yourself to a higher level, skating doesn't come as naturally, once you become better, you'll find the difficulty is not as much the timing as it is maintaining your energy, hockey is a lot more work.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote