View Single Post
Old
07-28-2010, 02:52 PM
Reign Nateo

vCash: 500
I honestly think there is far too much concern over who our 4th line C is at this point. We have Kesler/Burrows/Malhotra/Hansen/Raymond etc. to kill penalties. We need a 4th line C to play 7-8 minutes a night and create some kind of spark. Facts are the 4th line C won't be needed much.

No point in giving up an asset or cap space for that. We did pretty well with Johnson diving all over the place trying to look useful out there, I think we can thrive with an in-house replacement.

Take a guy like Joel Perrault. Most around here know very little about him and assume he has no NHL experience. But alas a couple seasons ago he played 49 games at C for the Coyotes. He scored 7 goals and 10 assists in that time. Threw 42 hits and had solid TK away numbers. Which is basically Jannik Hansen's production last year. He also was solid on FOs clicking at about a 50% clip. He's been slowed by injuries and the Coyotes desire to go with all youngsters the following year. Gretzky saw enough to give him about 2 minutes a game PP time as well. He's got size and skill and has put up numbers wherever he's been.

He's no saviour, but he can handle 8 minutes a game I would think.

I think this is a case of too much time to analyze everything. Would it be nice to add another C to take that spot? Sure. Is it really worth it considering the in-house options we have, and the fact that both Hodgson and Malhotra are C's? I'm not so sure.

I say bring them all in and see who has progressed and wants it the most. There's always time to add a bottom line grinder during training camp or once the season is underway.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote