Thread: Kings Article: The Case for Offer Sheets
View Single Post
Old
07-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
I think tendering an offer sheet to an RFA is a strategy that has to be considered. Lombardi has said, as a GM, it is his responsibility and due diligence to consider and exhaust all options. Offer sheets are a tool to acquire talent or draw a team to the table to enter negotiations for a potential trade.

If I'm a GM, and I know that my team is on the cusp of achieving success and needs that one missing piece, and the perfect fit is sitting along waiting to be signed to a contract as a RFA, I'm going to approach the team to see if his rights can be acquired. If not, then go the route of placing an offer sheet with the knowledge that it is entirely possible to face retaliation, and be prepared for it.

You also consider the player you are bidding for and the talent that will be available in future drafts. Take for example, Bobby Ryan. If it would cost two consecutive 1st round draft picks in 2011 and 2012, you'd have to gauge the depth of the draft and where your team will be selecting. Say the Kings are picking below 20, ask yourself, is there going to be talent equivalent to Bobby Ryan in the later stages of the first round? Most likely not.

It's a risky gamble, but an option worth considering.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote