View Single Post
Old
07-29-2010, 09:45 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
The quote by Torts in the OP is probably the most irrelevant. Anyone who pays attention to this team knows that. Unfortunately it's not that easy.

To me, it's not worth it to make deal that costs us picks or top prospects (and take note, I'm ALWAYS one of the biggest proponents of the win now mentality, because you never know about prospects).

But I just don't know how it makes any sense right now.

Is Brad Richards a hell of a player? Sure. But do we really want that cap hit? Are we really a Brad Richards away from competing for a Stanley Cup? I just don't think a move for a top center does ENOUGH to put us in a position to compete for a Cup rigth now.

And the way I see it is that in order to acquire that center, we'd have to surrender younger, valuable roster players (which we can't afford to do and almost simultaneously negates the move for the center), or we're going to have to have to give up top prospects and early draft picks. Neither of which this organization can afford at this point.

I don't mind the structure of the team. If they're really going to give Stepan a look in camp, great. Is he ready? Probably not. But what the hell. I'd rather sit tight with what we have and keep building then take a step back and sideways by doing what I mentioned above.

Are we that good of a team right now? No. But we're not that bad either. Just be patient, and stay the course.
2 edged sword. patience or missed opportunities ?

in our haste to make sure we dont move yutes for vets, we tend to overvalue the kids and that isnt a recipe for success either.

if the right player is available, and that player makes us better now and in the future, you make the move. when it comes to making deals, if it means you surrender young players to get better.... you do it.

keeping all the kids sounds great, problem is.... it could guarantee us being mediocre for long stretches. im not down for that at all.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote