View Single Post
Old
07-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Ginu

vCash: 500
I really think the team is San Jose. They're looking to make a major change and I don't think they'll go into the season with Nittymaki as their #1 goalie. But I don't see a goalie coming back our way from them. The only team that I can see that happening with is Chicago but they can't take salary back that I'm sure we'd try to get rid of with Price to get a younger cheaper defenseman (like in the Rivet trade).

So what I see is:

1) Price + Hamrlik for Setoguchi + Demers + 1
2) Price + Hamrlik + AK for Setoguchi + Vlasic

The reason San Jose would be interested in Hamrlik is their veteran defenseman Blake retired this off-season.

Then I see us going after Niemi or Turco. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we've already offered Niemi a contract in case we can't sign Price.

For everyone saying they wouldn't sign Niemi and trade Price, remember it's all about asset management. If you can land a top 6 forward + a top pairing defenseman (or a high prospect projected to be there) and sign Niemi to replace him by giving up draft picks in a weak draft, you consider it. Niemi just won a Cup and took over a couple of those series by himself. I'd be as nervous with him as our #1 as Price even though I'm a Price supporter.

And for those saying we shouldn't have traded Halak if we were going to deal Price, Halak isn't worth a large contract given a stellar 6 month run. It's dangerous. I know I'd prefer Niemi + Eller + Setoguchi + Demers + Auld for Price + Halak + Hamrlik + Moore.

It makes us younger, more skillful with a somewhat lateral move (maybe a slight decrease) in goal for a major improve both at forward and defense.