Thread: News Article: Hockey News Assessment of the Habs
View Single Post
Old
07-29-2010, 05:40 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Rare to win a Cup without an elite goalie, especially if you don't have any top end talent. Chicago had two #1's, we never will. Price is not elite.

Eller looks like a solid second line center (one day), but 70 points is a reach for a second line center and even if he did hit that, we'd need a goalie.

This is an overflogged idea, but acting like it isn't true doesn't make you a winner either.
I disagree. Look at what the elite goalies accomplished last year. Also look at recent cup winners : Marc Andre Fleury elite? Giguere elite?? Cam Ward elite??? Niemi elite???? OSGOOD? You have to go back to pre-lockout era from 2000 to 2003 to find elite goalies winning (Roy, Hasek and Brodeur in succession). You don't need an elite goalie, you need a good goalie in the middle of a hot streak.

A 70pt two way center is much harder to find than a good goalie (and we still have one anyways). I also think its just as likely that Halak stays an elite goalie than Eller becomes a 70+pt first line center. 70pts is a lot btw, I'll be thrilled if he consistantly produces 50 to 60pts.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote