View Single Post
Old
04-10-2005, 08:27 PM
fcbarcelona

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59
Redden and Chara are a MUCH better top 2 than Foote and Blake. As much as I like Foote and Blake(and don't get me wrong I think both are extremely good D men) they are both getting older and have become injury prone. Even when healthy, I don't think they compare to Chara and Redden. Chara is right up there with Pronger, Niedermayer and Lidstrom(in competition for "Best D man in the League"). Redden is in the "second tier" along with Blake, Ohlund, Jovo, Gonchar and Foote. As far as skills are concerned, either Blake or Foote may be compareable to Redden, but none of them are on Chara's level. IMO you are underestimating how dominant Chara has become over the last 2 years.
This paragraph is 110% inaccurate. I've seen both Blake and Chara play in live games (as of last season). Defensively, Chara and Blake are comparable. Zdeno has got a longer reach and doesn't go out of his way to make a hit. He's also bigger. Yet, he's slower.

Overall, Blake is much more the dynamic player. There are only a couple other defenseman like him (Lidstrom, Pronger, Niedermayer) who can score, quarterback the PP, anchor the transition of the puck from defense to offense, and play like a horse on defense. Chara, however, can shoot the puck well and has a decent set of hands.

Moreover, arguing Blake is "second tier" is an even less intelligent fight to bring on. Very stupid comment IMO.

FYI, Foote and Blake haven't become injury prone. They have always been susceptible to more injuries because Colorado relies on them so heavily (thus are easily targeted), especially during the lengthy playoff runs. Regardless, they play through the pain admirably and are still quite reliable.

As well, you've overrating Redden. If you don't believe me, then why was Foote chosen ahead of Wade for both the World Cup and Olympic rosters? Adam Foote is a potential HOF defenseman who can keep up with speedy forwards and shut down opposing players. In terms of overall defensive ability, Footie is superior to both Chara and Redden.

Finally, if they're "much better", why haven't the senators have had more playoff success???

Last edited by fcbarcelona: 04-11-2005 at 04:21 AM.