View Single Post
Old
07-31-2010, 05:41 PM
biturbo19

vCash: 500
I'm far from a faceoff wizzard, but i think the best advice i can give is, winning a faceoff is often as much about PREVENTING the other guy from doing what he wants, as it is you doing what you want.

Don't just focus on trying to win the puck cleanly to your own player. Consider what the other centre is doing, and how you can counterract that. Go in with a plan as to how you're going to defend against your opponents stick. Tie it up, lift it, knock it down and away, block it out, use his power against him, etc. Get your skates into it, move your whole body around, disrupt your opponent's balance, change it up, be unpredictable. There's no 'right' way to win a faceoff.

And if you're used to doing those 'N-H-L' faceoffs, don't be afraid to go in with a forehand grip and use your experience there to advantage. It seems like a lot of people are afraid to use different grips. And be aware of your balance, as well as your opponent's balance. At times, inexperienced amateurs will get themselves bent over in such a way that they aren't very well balanced and it makes them easier to move or cause them to fall over. It also takes away a lot of their available power on the draw. As always in hockey, you want to have a solid base.

Mostly though, just practice, practice, practice. I hope at least some of that helps somehow.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote