Smyth, is there still a chance he could be playing center?
View Single Post
10-02-2003, 12:57 PM
Dial M for Michelle
Join Date: Aug 2003
Maybe temporarily, but definitely not permanently, IMHO:
1. Smyth's best asset is his ability to drive down the boards and squeak by defensemen to create scoring opportunities. Putting him at center effectively eliminates that aspect of his game.
2. A center needs to have fairly good face-off abilities. Smyth isn't going to be able to do it consistently on a game-to-game basis.
3. Shifting from wing to center is a difficult defensive change to make. Smyth may get away with a few mental lapses here and there early on, but defensive mistakes will cost the team wins over the course of a long season.
4. Hopefully Comrie re-signs, or at the very least, gets traded for a center.
5. Once York fully heals, he's much more suited to playing the center position than Smyth is. York is less effective playing center than he is wing, but Smyth is MUCH less effective playing center than wing.
6. Putting Smyth in the center position moves Isbister up to first line LW. While Isbister should be given a chance at that position during the season, playing him consistently in that role may put too much pressure on him to produce.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Cloned