View Single Post
Old
08-02-2010, 01:10 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
You know, sometimes it pays off to just check your local retailers.

For example... over the weekend I needed new shinguards. My first stop was hockeymonkey.com, icewarehouse.com, and eventually every site that I could find on the first 3 pages of a Google search. Most didn't have them in my size (14", a pretty common size). Every website charged $7-12 in shipping and handling, which negated the savings on a ~$20 pair of shinguards. Even those that advertised "free shipping" would just charge handling instead.

Next stop was Play It Again Sports, which had some battered old guards for about $30. Not such a great deal when I could get new ones online for about that much. And only 2 pairs in the store fit me.

Finally I sent out a couple of requests on Craigslist and found I could buy a mangy old pair for $10 on the other side of town.

Frustrated, I broke down and called a local shop called Five Hole Sports which specializes in hockey equipment. Sure enough, they had brand-new RBK guards for about $25. In the process I discovered they have $20 sticks (cheaper than anything on hockeymonkey.com when you consider shipping) and a ton of specialty gear that I couldn't find anywhere else.

So yeah... next time I'm checking retail prices first.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote