Thread: News Article: Update on Price contract talks
View Single Post
Old
08-04-2010, 02:47 PM
ppil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I think after the year Price had it would have been in his best interest to sign a short deal to prove what he can do so that he can cash out, regardless of whether or not Halak was there.
I agree with that, the best for Price is to go the Plekanec way, he has nothing to lose doing that, except if he badly injures himself, but it's not like he was refusing a 15 years contract to take 1 year, it's probably more 1 year instead of 3-4 years.

I know about the arbitration, the fact that the two goalies wanted to play more games and all, but, I may be wrong, but usually, the more people need you, the more power you have. So my logic is that with Halak, the habs didn't need Price as much as right now.

He doesn't have enough power to get 3.5-4M a year, but he has enough to get 2.5 for 1 year instead of the 2M per for 2 years he might have gotten if Halak was still here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Price ultimately decides whether he signs or not, be it one year, two or three year, whether not Halak is or is not there.
Kind of true, well in Montreal it seems to be the case, but at the same time, if it was that easy, why would the teams even bother to negociate with the players? It all comes down to the power.

Price knows the team can't start the season without him, if he ask something reasonable, he will get it, if he's unreasonable, he might be traded. If the habs had the power (having Halak or any other good goalie) then Price might have to take what he's being offered, or negociate a good deal for both parties, if not, the habs could tell him to try to improve his game at home or in an other league (I know it's exagerated, just showing the extreme).

Last edited by ppil: 08-04-2010 at 03:01 PM.
ppil is offline   Reply With Quote