Thread: Bad Captains?
View Single Post
Old
10-02-2003, 03:23 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

vCash: 500
In Minnesota, players who wear the 'C' one month are healthy scratches the other (talking about Ronning here)

Although really, he wasn't a bad captain, I don't think.

I think Jaromir Jagr is getting an unfair rap here...when he wore the 'C' in Pittsburgh he was absolutely phenomenal...stripping him of the leadership role seems to have done bad things to his game.

I don't think Craig Conroy is a particularly good captain - his play really went downhill after he got the 'C' full-time. He tries to be a bit to fancy, and looks pretty nervous out there. Sutter should just give the 'C' to Iginla, and pressure him to perform.

Ditto Jason Smith. Why in the name of Sweet Zombie Jesus is Ryan Smyth not the captain in Edmonton? All Smith does is parlay the 'C' into a ludicrously high salary.

Messier's "grab you by the throat" leadership style doesn't work anymore now that he sucks. People just seem to resent him.

Nolan was a pretty crappy captain in San Jose, underachieved more or less the entire time.

As for Sundin...I don't think he's bad, but Nieuwendyk and Roberts would probably be better, yeah.