View Single Post
Old
08-05-2010, 01:43 AM
Mazokngstc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Its funny, the comparison initially popped into my head because Ronning was a King killer, and I found it funny that 5 of Moller's 9 goals in those highlights came against PHX and COL. Then I realized, aside from being specific team killers, the two are actually very similar players.
It's a damn good comparison, actually, at least in terms of potential. Ronning was never going to blow you away talent-wise, but he worked hard and brought his game along for the ride every night, and he ran hot and cold as his opportunities did. Absolutely a complementary player, but an effective one on both sides of the ice.

As it stands, Moller is either a top-six guy without a good shot or an energy guy without any kind of defensive intimidation factor. He's got the potential for improvement in his defensive zone coverage, but that's a ;png stretch to keep him on the team. However, if Moller developed a quick one-timer that he could put on net off of a faceoff with regularity, he'd be a perfect LW for Stoll/Schenn (assuming he makes the team and plays his game similarly) and Brown, good for around 20g/30a. Lacking a shot that draws defenders, he's a liability to his linemates.

Would also love to see DD teach him how to use that full-body hipcheck we saw last year--if he could get his shoulder into it, he could surprise somebody once in a while, even if he doesn't arrive with a lot of pop, he could separate a smaller winger from the puck with an all-out effort, and at least keep 'em a little more honest.

He's definitely got the heart, just remains to be seen if he can put it all together.

Mazokngstc is offline   Reply With Quote