View Single Post
Old
08-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Islander102

vCash: 500
I got one a couple of weeks ago, a game winner with a few minutes left, and it felt nice. As was said already though, shelf isnt how youre going to beat most goalies one on one. 5 hole or in between the leg pad and the blocker/glove are where most goalies are vulnerable. There are only a few scenarios where I try to shelf it. If I head fake the goalie into thinking I am going lower and he drops down early, or if I am receiving a cross ice pass, the goalies usually can get across the ice alright, but dont cover the top of the net in doing so. Or if I play a left handed (right catching) goaltender. Which is pretty rare, but when I do, I snipe it up there regularly from the left wing My last bar down goal was against a lefty.

Other than that, yeah, try to go right over the leg pads or five hole. Its the last thing goalies in beer leagues learn to stop. They try the hardest on glove and blocker saves, and their reflexes down low are much worse. Shelf goals are the most fun to watch yourself score, but if thats all youre going to shoot for, it wont happen too often, unless youre playing in a league you shouldnt be playing in.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote