View Single Post
Old
08-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Calicool49

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Saw the Wild beat writer, Michael Russo, tweet this and is speculating a $1.5m base deal for 1 yr + bonuses (since WIllie is eligible for a bonus laden contract for being out > 100 days).

That would be sweet if he signs w/ the Sharks.

Caps could offer more but I have to think Willie would like staying on the West coast and in the WC.
I was originally dead set against signing a guy that is coming off of serious concussion concerns, however I am starting to think that picking up Mitchell at a reduced rate may be the way to go. If the Sharks could pick him up for $1.5-$2M on a 1-year deal with incentives, that would be a solid pickup if he is healthy.

The best thing about signing Mitchell is that the Sharks would not have to give up a pick or prospect to acquire him. Mitchell would certainly fill a top-4 role when he is healthy, and the Sharks could attempt to move either Doug Murray or Kent Huskins via a trade (although they would not be forced to).

With Mitchell, you could either pair him with Dan Boyle to create a balanced defensive pairing or you could pair him with Pickles for a shutdown pairing.

The biggest concern is if Mitchell is healthy enough to resume playing, and whether or not he will hold up during the course of the season since concussions are serious business. Signing Mitchell would certainly be a gamble by DW and the Sharks, but it could be one that pays off if Mitchell can return to health.