View Single Post
Old
08-08-2010, 09:42 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
the only thing preventing Gaborik from being a franchise player is his health.

He's a better player than Kovalchuk, not just because he wears a Rangers sweater but because when he has an off game he's not the type of player that's turning the puck over left and right. He's responsible in his own zone every game. He would be killing penalties if durability wasn't a concern.

Maybe Kovalchuk is a better goalscorer, but whoopdie do, goals aren't everything especially when the difference in stats per game is a handful.
Who's to say that Kovy won't mature into that perfect franchise player you speak of? And it's hardly fair to bring up playoff experience as dirt on Kovalchuk, especially considering he was stuck on an awful team for nearly a decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
I guess as a longtime Ranger fan I'm finding it harder to accept the Devils are changing their game plan than even Devils fans are, but I guess with Marty eventually retiring it has to done!

And your right it was definately an exaggeration calling him a waste to the Devils, a top 5 in the league goalscorer is never a waste
Defense will always be a priority in New Jersey, regardless of how potent the offense is, and the philosophy has been set in stone by Lou Lamoriello to develop every aspect of the franchise instead of having a certain role carry the team. However, it has come to pass that the defense isn't as good as it once was, and while effective, the names of Scott Stevens, Ken Daneyko, and Scott Neidermayer have never been adequately replaced since Scotty Nieds left in 2004. Granted, Lou went out an got us Anton Volchenkov (who's easily the closest thing we've had to Stevens) and Henrik Tallinder, but still, it's just not the same.

Brodeur, while still a phenomenal talent and easily one of the better netminders in the NHL, isn't what he once was, and has certainly slowed down over the years.

This can mean only one thing: The Devils need to start putting more pucks in the net. And hopefully, with this new-look New Jersey team, that will become a reality.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote