View Single Post
Old
08-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
IBig Phil, I'm puzzled by you declaring Selanne had more elite seasons. I'd say both players had around 10.
I don't think Modano had 10 though. When I say elite I'm thinking more along the lines of a consensus top 10 player in the game that year. Modano probably had to wait until no sooner than 1997 to be considered a potential top 10 player. Then there would be no more than 4-5 years where he was ARGUABLY a top 10 player.

Selanne was elite right from the get go. He would be classified as a top 10 player in 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 and 2000. Then he had a few years of indifferent play couple with injuries. Post lockout he made up a lot of ground with some fine seasons and good postseason play. The guy also led the NHL in goals three times and his placement in the scoring race is peerless compared to Modano. The question is, does Modano's all around game make up for the bigger spikes in offense from Selanne? My answer is no. You get the idea that we saw the best we possibly could have from Selanne. Not so from Modano, you still feel as if we could have seen a better version of him.

Selanne for me, prime and career value

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote