View Single Post
Old
08-09-2010, 01:12 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
People keep saying Callahan can score 30 goals... Based on what? He will never score 30 goals, ever, in the NHL.

He lacks the hands and shot to do it.

He's had a tremendous amount of ice time the last two years and he didn't do it. He played what, 18 ATOI last year and only scored 19 goals.

He is NOT a 30 goal scorer.

If he ever scores 20 goals again, I'd be thrilled.

Once guys like Grachev, Kreider, Stepan, start to arrive later this year, especially if we keep Frolov, Callahan won't sniff the the top 6, and that means his minutes and production will take a hit.

Callahan is a fine player, but he is not a 30 goal scorer.

Hovering around 20 goals is a fine number for Callahan.
Yea, because players don't ever improve their statistics after the age of 25. He scored 22 goals in 08-09 without anything remotely resembling a playmaking center. Scoring 8 more goals than that is so far out of the question? Get real. I don't know why you're trying to make such a bold statement about this, but you're way off base.

I'll agree that Cally is more of a 15-20 goal scorer than a 30 goal scorer, but if he scores 30 5 times in his career, I wouldn't be the least bit shocked. Cally does all the little things right and his shot is definitely NHL-caliber. He's not as adept at getting his shot off, unblocked, and getting into an area to use his shot all the time, but if he scored 22 goals on the 2nd and 3rd lines as a 23 year old on a offensively-challenged team without a true playmaker, I think it's absurd to say outright "He'll never score 30 goals in the NHL, ever." He lacks the hands and shot to do so? That has no basis, whatsoever. His hands and shot are average if not slightly above. He's a solid all-around player. He doesn't really have a weakness. He's not elite at anything, but he's above average at hitting and forechecking, and he's good at just about everything else.

If you were to label him as a player, the label wouldn't be "goal-scorer." It would be heart-and-soul, hustle, leader, forechecker, hitter, etc all before goal-scorer, but it doesn't mean he doesn't have the shot or hands to score 30. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he scores 30 THIS year. He could score 15. He could also score 30.

Sorry for the long drawn out post, but I just don't understand where you're coming from with this. You'd be "thrilled if he ever sniffed 20 goals again?" He scored 41 goals the last two seasons combined. Why do you think he's somehow going to be worse with more experience at the spry age of 25? :shrug:

Last edited by Zuccarello Awesome*: 08-09-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote