View Single Post
Old
08-09-2010, 05:54 AM
Regal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ushvinder View Post
Well, it depends who's on your team right. If you already have a flashy winger like bure, palffy or brett hull, then you would take modano on your team. But if your team already has excellent defensive forwards like peca, lehitnen or guy carbonneau, then I would take selanne because he would put up 20 more points than Modano.

1994 was Modano's first superstar season, but in 94 he was one dimensional and he still couldn't crack the top 10 scoring list. Selanne just had superior offensive ability.
That's true too, and I was thinking about that as well. They're both sort of in the range of players who were stars, but weren't so good that team needs don't become a factor in the decision.

I do think Modano's offensive ability was always slightly overrated. He was just so smooth that it seemed like he could do a lot more. However, even though the one-dimensional Modano wasn't a dominant offensive player, he was young and didn't have much to play with, so it doesn't mean he might not have been better later on if he didn't play in Hitchcock's system. He and Selanne are actually the same age, and most of Selanne's best seasons came at the age that Modano had already changed his game. At most though Modano might have put up another 10 or so points a season. I don't think anyone can really make an argument that Selanne wasn't a better offensive player by a decent margin

Regal is offline   Reply With Quote