View Single Post
Old
08-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I think it's more directed to the leagues where talent is spread out. I play at one rink where there are 10 divisions and a few seasons ago we were given a guy who was an absolute beginner. We would have been better off playing shorthanded. I've been playing hockey for 16 years and I DO NOT want to play with beginners. I'm paying $300 or more to play hockey and I am not getting paid to teach nor is learning how to play hockey with players who are much better than you the proper way to do it. I started from the bottom as well, I played a lot of pickup, I played a lot of street hockey to get better. I did not just plop myself on an intermediate team and hope the other 4 guys out there would carry my ass up and down the rink for 60 minutes. Pay your dues, if you're new to hockey simply look at the standings and figure out the lowest league or ask the rink-if they try to place you in any division except the lowest refuse and walk out. As you have read on here the majority of intermediate-advanced players DO NOT WANT to play with beginners. Beginners should play in beginner leagues, is that too much to ask? If you're at a rink where this option is not available again I'd refuse placement, play pickup, hire a personal trainer, play street hockey, take power skating classes, get better and then sign up for a league. These players would be better off paying for power skating classes than league fees in most cases.
Agree 100%.

It's not a slight toward beginners, but it's just not fun playing with guys who can barely skate and turn the puck over a lot. The games here are competitive so it's not like the other team is just going to let up on the weak guy.

Not to mention that when you're putting together lines for a game and you get half a dozen people requesting not to play with the slow guy it causes a mess. So you have your one or two players who are the best team guys who won't complain, and they get stuck with him/her, and it sucks because they never get a chance to play with the top skaters.

And if you're that guy, you're going to be constantly frustrated and not having fun because your teammates are all better than you, and you feel like you're letting down the team. Your best isn't good enough, and that's a terrible feeling.