View Single Post
Old
08-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Holy Jokinen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
Thankfully that's true. Campbell and Kreps should have been demoted to the AHL or had their ice time severely reduced. It was ridiculous that they were kept up here the entire season.

Tallon is doing the right thing by bringing in competition, but a competitive environment won't work unless DeBoer shows that he will be consistent and reward players with ice time if they perform well and take away ice time from players who are underperforming.
I agree with most of what you say on principle, but in reality, it just isn't that simple. Campbell didn't have a two way contract, so he would be making the same amount of money in the AHL. Plus, he'd have to clear waivers, and there's a good chance some team would grab him to fill a bottom 6 role. Then you're screwed because now you have absolutely no depth for when injuries occur. Not to mention changes to the playing roster, including sending guys down, and call-ups are all GM duties. The coach cannot make those decisions.

And yeah, you can sit guys, and i think he should've have sat a few guys at times, or at least demoted them to he 4th line during games etc... But at some point, lacking depth is lacking depth. And when the players know there's no one to realistically call up, it just doesn't seem like a realistic consequence.

As Tallon says, at the end of camp there could be 5 forwards finding themselves without an NHL spot. Now, i hope those are guys we would expect to be in the AHL, but if its not, then it should be a huuuuge wake up call for them. It's a good problem to have, really.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote