View Single Post
Old
08-09-2010, 05:08 PM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post
Who's to say that Kovy won't mature into that perfect franchise player you speak of? And it's hardly fair to bring up playoff experience as dirt on Kovalchuk, especially considering he was stuck on an awful team for nearly a decade.

Defense will always be a priority in New Jersey, regardless of how potent the offense is, and the philosophy has been set in stone by Lou Lamoriello to develop every aspect of the franchise instead of having a certain role carry the team. However, it has come to pass that the defense isn't as good as it once was, and while effective, the names of Scott Stevens, Ken Daneyko, and Scott Neidermayer have never been adequately replaced since Scotty Nieds left in 2004. Granted, Lou went out an got us Anton Volchenkov (who's easily the closest thing we've had to Stevens) and Henrik Tallinder, but still, it's just not the same.

Brodeur, while still a phenomenal talent and easily one of the better netminders in the NHL, isn't what he once was, and has certainly slowed down over the years.

This can mean only one thing: The Devils need to start putting more pucks in the net. And hopefully, with this new-look New Jersey team, that will become a reality.
All I'm saying is that my definition of a franchise player, which I guess is seen by others as generational type talent, is the type of player that can carry a team. Kovalchuk's proven he's not that, and he's 27, I think it's what you see is what you get with him at this point. He's had decent enough teams where to be considered in the Crosby, Ovechkin, etc. conversation the Thrashers should've at least had ONE playoff win with him.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote