View Single Post
Old
08-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
The question I responded to isn't "why did the league reject the deal?" it was "where do you draw the line?" I AM aware of the rule set you're talking about, though. I submit that any deal long enough to pay someone as one of the best players in the league at one end, and then pay them the league minimum by the time it ends is too long and/or is designed with little besides cap circumvention in mind.
There's no line man. It's as simple of that. The league probably never thought contracts would be abused that much, and they just decided that, for this very player, it's too much. Does it mean they will reject further contracts in the future? Does it means they won't be any more close calls? Who knows. But in the current situation, it made more sense to refuse Kovalchuk contract now instead of risking a slippery slope that wouldn't have benefited anyone.

Now, in a few years, the CBA will probably be modified to handle these extreme contracts (the easiest way would simply be to put a limit to their length) but until then, the league absolute ruling is what we have, and I'm quite happy they decided to use their veto power.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote