View Single Post
Old
08-11-2010, 01:21 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
It was early 1998 if I remember correctly. January, February 1998 maybe. The conclusion was Jagr. Keep in mind, Selanne finished 2nd in points in 1997 to Lemieux (although Jagr was injured 20 games). This was midway through the 1997-'98 season. Selanne is having a great year sans Kariya and it was becoming glaring to everyone that he was truly the better player between the two although in the summer of 1997 I think people would have said Kariya.

Hard to believe but Jagr didn't get a lot of respect at that time. He had Mario before him and during 1998 there was still Francis who many felt fed him a lot of his points. As silly as it sounds the idea among some was that Jagr needed a great center to succeed. I think after he won the Art Ross in 1998 rather comfortably and then won it again in 1999 with one hand tied behind his back did people finally start to give him the respect he deserved. No one was in Jagr's category by then and everyone knew that. But in January 1998? Well, there were still some doubts. Jagr was still deemed to be better though
Pretty much how I read it at the time. Selanne finished just short of taking the 1st Team All-Star spot from Jagr as well (202-195). Would've liked to have seen the Hart and All-Star results if the Mighty Ducks were a playoff team, or if Selanne hadn't missed 9 games.

I think his 1996-97 and 1998-99 seasons that book-ended the Hart nomination are/were overlooked. Second in scoring in both years, and second and first in goals respectively (would've been first in three straight years if not for missing a few games in 1997).

The guy after Jagr and Hasek as I saw it until his leg started to get the better of him in 1999-2000, and Modano never kept that type of company at his peak, let alone challenged their crowns.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote