View Single Post
Old
08-11-2010, 12:01 PM
jepjepjoo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Upon scoring 50 goals in his first full season, Paul Kariya was widely referred to as "the Next Gretzky" by "a sizable majority" of the hockey world and seemed destined to overtake Selanne as top dog on that team (in terms of production, of course... Kariya's leadership and "intangibles" were always regarded more highly than Selanne, right or wrong, even at a young age). The very next year, despite 4 years of age/development difference between them, their production was quite similar. Fault the pundits for translating notions of potential unfairly and prematurely in his favour over Selanne, but that's how it was.
Not taking anything away from Kariya, but he did score 21 goals of his 50 goals in the last 28 games of the season which he played with Selanne and "only" 29 goals in the first 54 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Kariya's big injury brought said comparisons back down with a huge reality check (especially with Selanne leading the league in goals that year, I believe), but even now I'm sure there are a LOT of people who will share the opinion that if you erase the concussion issues we are sitting here in agreement that Kariya should be considered the "better" player of the two. After all, he did start off his first 200 games or so at around a 1.3/1.4 PPG clip (whatever the actual number is, I'm pretty sure it compares quite favourably to whatever Selanne's was for his first 200 games).
Selanne first 200 games 1.31 ppg
Kariya first 200 games 1.25 ppg

jepjepjoo is offline   Reply With Quote