View Single Post
Old
08-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Trojan35

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalscorer View Post
I also started with roller. Here's my input. Will get flamed by some, but this has worked for me.

Your stick should feel comfortable when your holding it. I've tried cutting sticks shorter and also left them long. Buy the stick you want, put your skates on and hold your stick. The blade should lay flat on the ground when you stand in a "pass recieving position". The lie of each stick will have an impact, but in general cut the stick to what feels comfortable.

As far as wood vs. composite. Buy what you want. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford composite. The feel and technology is amazing. I'm not knocking wood sticks, they just aren't for me. If you are in the position to buy a $200.00 stick, and that's is what you like, get it. I would make sure you know whether your going to shoot left or right and what curve you want first though. As others have stated buying wood and trying different things will help you decide.

I shoot left and am right handed. Again there are many thoughts on how to determine this. I was a kid and bought the coolest stick Target had in the store. I had no clue. I would go to the store and play with both. Alot of Sports stores will have balls and pucks in that section. Grab one and stick handle a little bit. WHich ever feels natural is the one you should buy.

As far as curves go, I would go with a blade as straight as possible. The old Bure and Modano curves are what I would recommend. Not sure what model those would be now. (someone else will know, or you can ask the retailer.)
Wood is really tough to use and at $25, I'd just start with a cheap, $40-$60 composite until you figure out what curve/flex/kickpoint you'd like. Plus, even with a cheap composite, you'll start learning how to properly flex your stick on shots. Then, if you can afford it, there really is a big improvement by getting the $200 sticks. For a simple beginner curve, get something flat or closed (example: Iginla). I made the mistake of starting with a Sakic which helped elevate my shots, but the open face really started to annoy me when making stretch passes.

Of course, this is all ice info. hope it helps.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote