View Single Post
Old
08-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Fataldogg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
At +8, there were only 3 Rangers that had a better plus/minus rating than Wade Redden this past season. And one of them (Christensen) only played 49 games. Our eyes don't deceive us. He's virtually worthless as a defenseman. How is it possible that he's a plus player at all? I know that some people discount the stat but unsurprisingly Gaborik has the best plus/minus and he's obviously the best play aside from Lunqvist.

PS - Del Zotto is dead last.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/teams/stats?team=nyr
Because he isn't nearly as bad defensively as a lot of people think. Redden played so so defense last year. Just because he can't put up the points you cant take that away from him.

Del Zotto dead last? Anyone else surprised? He was bottom five in the NHL I believe. Del Zotto was AWFUL defensively, hence his +/- fits him. Redden was decent defensively, hence his +/- fits him. Redden is vastly superior defensively to Del Zotto regardless of his inferior speed or puck handling ability.

+/- is an important stat. People use +/- as an important stat in support of players and discount it to argue against others. But, personally I think it's an important stat. You want to be on the ice when your team scores. You don't want to be on the ice more often when your team is scored against. Simple to me.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote