View Single Post
Old
08-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Hockey Outsider

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jepjepjoo View Post
I'm saying that 93-04 is a stupid time period since it clearly favors Modano since Selanne was playing injured 01-04. Even if he wasn't 11 years as a time period would still be too long to make any relevant argument.
For the second time: I clearly stated that Selanne is the better player due to his post-lockout resurgence.

If I wanted to look at Selanne's entire career, we'd need to look at the pre-lockout and post-lockout portion. I gave post-lockout performance to Selanne without hesitation, and over the remainder of their careers I've argued that it's very close (with Modano likely having the edge).

In other words: I discussed 1993-2004, and post-lockout. Overall that discussion is complete because it covers Selanne's entire NHL career.

I'm not sure what you wanted me to do, exclude some of Selanne's years?

Quote:
Also why the hell would you leave out the 92-93 season?
1. Relax.

2. The convention here is to refer to the 1992-1993 season as "1993". This upcoming season will be referred to as the "2011" season. My comparison was "1993-2004" which means all seasons from 1992-93 to 2003-04.

Quote:
Why are you saying that per 82gp stats have little value? Selanne played four games more during 92-01 so it actually gives Modano a slight advantage.
It's my position that per-82 game stats have little value because you don't win hockey games by extrapolating the statistics of injured players. Only actual, on-ice contributions contribute to winning hockey games.

It doesn't matter if the per-82 games stats make things closer for Modano, it not an argument I would use.

Hockey Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote