View Single Post
08-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Hockey Outsider
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by jepjepjoo View Post
I'm saying that 93-04 is a stupid time period since it clearly favors Modano since Selanne was playing injured 01-04. Even if he wasn't 11 years as a time period would still be too long to make any relevant argument.
For the second time: I clearly stated that Selanne is the better player due to his post-lockout resurgence.

If I wanted to look at Selanne's entire career, we'd need to look at the pre-lockout and post-lockout portion. I gave post-lockout performance to Selanne without hesitation, and over the remainder of their careers I've argued that it's very close (with Modano likely having the edge).

In other words: I discussed 1993-2004, and post-lockout. Overall that discussion is complete because it covers Selanne's entire NHL career.

I'm not sure what you wanted me to do, exclude some of Selanne's years?

Also why the hell would you leave out the 92-93 season?
1. Relax.

2. The convention here is to refer to the 1992-1993 season as "1993". This upcoming season will be referred to as the "2011" season. My comparison was "1993-2004" which means all seasons from 1992-93 to 2003-04.

Why are you saying that per 82gp stats have little value? Selanne played four games more during 92-01 so it actually gives Modano a slight advantage.
It's my position that per-82 game stats have little value because you don't win hockey games by extrapolating the statistics of injured players. Only actual, on-ice contributions contribute to winning hockey games.

It doesn't matter if the per-82 games stats make things closer for Modano, it not an argument I would use.

Hockey Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote