View Single Post
Old
08-11-2010, 10:10 PM
vadim sharifijanov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
A hockey preview magazine (I don't remember which) before the 1996-97 season had an article on who would be the next best forward, after Lemieux. Their candidates were Forsberg, Jagr, Lindros, and Kariya, and they ended up choosing Kariya. (IIRC their reasoning was Forsberg didn't score enough goals, Jagr benefitted from Lemieux, and Lindros was injury-prone.)
i remember an old magazine, i want to say the sporting news, where the cover story was "the next one?" its candidates were jagr, lindros, bure, fedorov, and roenick, and they picked roenick. this was right before lindros' rookie year. the rationale was that the other guys were too "european" and lindros was completely unproven at the time, so jr was the guy to lead the post-expansion NHL into the new millennium. not exactly the same situation as described above, but i think kariya, as great as he was pre-suter, got a lot of juice from being articulate and working for disney. lindros was a jerk, jagr and others didn't speak perfect english, and kariya just seemed like such a wholesome ken griffey jr. type.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote