View Single Post
Old
08-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
i remember an old magazine, i want to say the sporting news, where the cover story was "the next one?" its candidates were jagr, lindros, bure, fedorov, and roenick, and they picked roenick. this was right before lindros' rookie year. the rationale was that the other guys were too "european" and lindros was completely unproven at the time, so jr was the guy to lead the post-expansion NHL into the new millennium. not exactly the same situation as described above, but i think kariya, as great as he was pre-suter, got a lot of juice from being articulate and working for disney. lindros was a jerk, jagr and others didn't speak perfect english, and kariya just seemed like such a wholesome ken griffey jr. type.
That's selling the guy way short. His list of accomplishments/accolades BEFORE even suiting up in the NHL were quite extraordinary. Torched the NCAA as a rookie, best forward and all-star of the '93/94 WC, a great showing as a youngster on the Olympic silver medal team the same year, etc. And then he was in the top 50 NHL scorers in his lock-out shortened rookie season, and post season 1st team all-star (first of 3 in a row) as a sophomore. Dude was pretty good (not simply "articulate", "connected", and/or "wholesome"), but sure, he obviously has Selanne to thank for a lot of that (and vice versa).

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote