View Single Post
Old
08-11-2010, 11:25 PM
vadim sharifijanov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
That's selling the guy way short. His list of accomplishments/accolades BEFORE even suiting up in the NHL were quite extraordinary. Torched the NCAA as a rookie, best forward and all-star of the '93/94 WC, a great showing as a youngster on the Olympic silver medal team the same year, etc. And then he was in the top 50 NHL scorers in his lock-out shortened rookie season, and post season 1st team all-star (first of 3 in a row) as a sophomore. Dude was pretty good (not simply "articulate", "connected", and/or "wholesome"), but sure, he obviously has Selanne to thank for a lot of that (and vice versa).
whoa, where did i say that kariya wasn't a fantastic player pre-suter? we have been talking in this thread about the merits of kariya relative to selanne, and why two players who seem close in retrospect were not generally considered close at the time. the articulate, boy next door thing i'm sure played a role in that.

believe me, i was there and i remember teenage kariya. watching him in his first wjc, it seemed crazy to me that he was pegged as low as sixth in that draft, behind kozlov, gratton, and niedermayer.

and kariya could do a lot worse than be compared to ken griffey jr, by the way.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote