View Single Post
Old
08-12-2010, 07:49 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Again, I love the city, but have you ever gone to other major cities? Plenty of other cities have the allure of NYC. Some examples off the top of my head that I've actually been to would be Dallas/Ft. Worth, the D.C. area, Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, Boston.

Depending on the reasons, some may have more of a draw to some players seeking somewhere to live. For example, from my visit to Toronto I pretty much came to the conclusion it's like New York City light. It's on the water, it's a huge city with an awesome skyline. Only differences are it's not overpopulated and it's clean.

I'm sure cities like Nashville and Columbus are the perfect size and more appealing to a lot of guys versus New York or Los Angeles.

And you mentioned cost of living, why wouldn't someone want to spend less money in another major city or the suburb of?

As it's been pointed out numerous times as well, some guys don't like the draw of a big city. And if you want to talk about guys getting traded and in free agency, I'd venture to say a large percentage of guys.

And at the end of the day there's plenty of great places to play in the NHL, all with their own appeal. The most important factors are the direction of a team and what its current chances of success are. Plenty of teams have the leg up on us in that case.

Thus, the draw of New York city to draftees, free agents, etc. is vastly overrated here.
Come on now. I've been to every single one you mentioned and the only one that comes even remotely close is Chicago. No one actually lives in the District outside of Georgetown other than crackheads. Dallas/Ft. Worth? Are you kidding me? The only major metropolises (that I've been to) that really compare to NYC are London and Tokyo - maybe Paris. Nothing else has the energy and the diversity and the culture and the sheer volume of people and places and things to do.

It's clear from your comments that you're not a big city person. (Which is okay, by the way!) But when you make statements like the above, with little hints like "it's not overpopulated and it's clean" and "Columbus and Nashville are the perfect size" you peg yourself pretty clearly as a suburban guy. To the extent some athletes are also suburban guys, your point of view may be applicable. It is absolutely true that not everyone loves the lifestyle - including some athletes.

But to anyone who likes to actually live in and experience cities, and not just drive in and out for events, NYC is like no other. (Especially if you're young and rich and famous.) This has been confirmed by hundreds of athletes who've made some variation on the quote "there's nothing like winning in New York." And many athletes, who in general tend to have "type A" peronalities that push them to be the best at whatever they do, seem to like the limelight and the lifestyle that only NYC can provide - I mean, can you imagine Hank or Mess (never mind Avery!), just to mention a couple of Rangers all-time favorites, living (not just playing, but living) anywhere else?

So yes, NYC does have an allure to a lot of players. Not all, but a lot.

(And that's before we even get into the comfort factor that NYC's many expat communities provide to foreign-born players.)

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote