View Single Post
Old
08-12-2010, 09:47 AM
agrudez*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek View Post
Maybe my info was wrong, but I thought it was very important to take at least a few days off every week for recovery. It seems like a lot of you guys are hitting the gym 7 days a week. I'm not a hardcore gym guy (I go a 3 or 4 days a week, mostly for an overall musclegain/fatloss thing, not powerlifting) but I was under the impression too much gym would slow down muscle gain quite a bit.

Unless you guys are really spreading out your muscle groups. My routine is more like arms, chest and abs, legs. Everyday includes cardio as well.

I don't know though, I'm a gym noob.
It is true that you actually don't gain muscle when you lift, lifting rips your muscles apart and you gain muscle when they repair themselves because they take excess protein and glycogen to rebuild the tissue.

That being said, arms can rest on leg day, legs can rest on arm day, etc. A common mistake people make (other than doing lifts incorrectly, for a good laugh go to the lat pulldown machine and count how many people do it correctly, I guarantee it is <5%) is doing abs and/or curls (the showy type muscles) every damn day, does nothing for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I used to do a typical body builders split of chest/back one day, legs another, etc.. Then I went to the Bill Starr 5x5 which is more of a power lifters program, less pretty beach muscles, more focus on core strength and usable athleticism, along with 5k run 5 nights a week. Then I took some time off as I was running into over training injuries in my knees and wrists.

Now that I'm getting back into it. I'm doing one round of P90x before I get back into moving any serious weight around in the gym, combined with an hour a day on my bike (usually works out to about 20 miles or so). I have no idea what my maxes are in any lifts, and won't be testing for another couple months.
I have heard so much about that P90x thing, is it like an aerobic type thing or is it an explosive muscle type thing?

Quote:

I completely disagree. Very low-rep, very high-weight lifts develop explosive strength (read: athleticism) faster than any other kind of lifting. Lifting exclusively like that is hard on your joints and tendons, and doesn't condition the muscle for aerobic activity that well, but it is definitely useful.

I personally think guys who lift for power and explosive strength usually have an easy time adapting any given muscle group to aerobic work (and better baseline performance before any activity-specific training). Where as I find endurance athletes have a lot harder time making big gains in the strength department.

To put it simply, sprinters make way better marathoners than marathoners make sprinters. Just my opinion.
Low rep, high weight is great if done right, too many people are lazy when they lift. You have to really get under the weight and rep through it with explosive motion (like you mentioned) for the true benefit of the exercise. It basically all comes down to form and determination more than strength.

Quote:
To put it simply, sprinters make way better marathoners than marathoners make sprinters. Just my opinion.
That is an interesting theory; however, I probably would destroy it for you as I am a good sprinter, but can barely jog 3 miles without having an asthma attack, haha.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote