View Single Post
Old
08-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Razzmatazz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDwoot View Post
What can I do to be better at positioning?

I feel lost sometimes on the ice… and am not sure if I should charge in or hang back in my area. I watch a lot of NHL and have picked up some of it. But it seems like upper level players always know were to be.

I am a beginner but feel very dedicated to improving. I go to stick time sat and sun every week and like I said, watch a lot of hockey. At stick time I am able to work on shooting, passing, puck handling, skating and so forth, but positioning and overall game flow is something that I don’t see how I can work on, as there are no games allowed during this time.

Any ideas on how I can be better at this? Basic strategies I should adopt while playing?
Anything at all will be appreciated. Anything else I should focus / work on while in game?

Oh and I prefer to play left wing but may get put on right from time to time.

Thanks in advance.
This is the toughest thing to do with beginner teammates, because you often feel the need to play the hero and chase the puck outside of your defensive area...don't worry, I am guiltier than most of doing this...it's up to your teammates to cover their own spots in the zone, you can't do their job without neglecting your own...so as hard as it might be to stay put when you want to help out, you have to cover your own area of the ice at all times.

Offensively, it doesn't matter as much, keep moving around, and get open for a pass. On the breakout, I'll often cross in front or behind the puck carrier to get the defensemen bunched in the middle of the ice, it often opens up the lanes to the outside to skate or dump in.

Defensively, as a winger defensively, play between the tops of the circles and the hashmarks high while the puck is outside your zone.

When the other team has the puck on the opposite side of the zone (left wing): Stay between the backside defenseman and the net, make sure you can see him out of the left side of your vision, and the net on the right side of your peripheral vision.

If you defenseman gets the puck, get to your boards in case he goes around the boards for the clear. Stop the puck, and either flip it up the boards, or pass it over to your center or opposite winger, who should be heading up the ice for the breakout. If you are the opposite winger, skate up the ice to pull the defense off the blue line and make some room for you center to skate the puck out.

If the puck is on your side of the ice, stay a couple feet away from the boards, so that you can quickly get to it if the puck comes your way, and cut off the pass to the defenseman. If your center is deep, and the puck goes back around to the winger on the opposite boards go to the middle of the ice and then turn up the ice for the breakout pass.

So basically, for a winger, if the puck is in the corners, be below the tops of the circles, but don't go past the hashmarks (vertically). If the puck is on your side of the ice, cover the boards, and if the puck is on the other side of the ice, cover the back of the slot (horizontally)

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote