View Single Post
Old
08-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Headcoach

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDwoot View Post
Say I'm left wing and we are in our D zone. The oposing teams D man is who I need to cover at the point.... what if he doesnt play his zone properly and is all over. Do I hang out in my zone and cover whoever comes in ?

Example : Head coach talks about strong sides and weak sides. Say the D man I need to cover moves over to the strong side (like to the boards or behind the net or somthing) and im left standing in my zone on the weak side... do i try to cover more into the slot? I guess what im saying is I will feel really useless if im standing around not covering anyone.
Well, 9 times out of 10, you won't really have this problem full strength. Now I do see this cycling when a team is down by one man and the attacking team moves players around to interupt or break the defensive box.

But you have to remember, that zone you are covering is pretty big. It might look like he going all over the place (which he is) because he is trying to position himself so that he will be added to the play. If he doesn't move to get open, it would be like playing 4 on 4. But if he finds a way to add himself into the play by getting open, then he's made his team a 5 on 4 for about 5 to 10 second. Maybe you might not know this, but 10 second is like an eternity for a goalie that's trying to protect a one goal lead. Now, he has to worry about a 6th attacker. (yeah, different thread)

To he honest, I would like for you to follow the man to the edge of your zone and no further. Some coaches are pretty smart having their player switch sides or over load zones while in the attacking zone. (kind of like I do when breaking out).

But, when you follow your assignment and some one else cycles back into his slot, then now they have an open man on their line to work with into the play because he's open and you are caught up in someone elses zone. Yeah, that's right, hockey is not as easy as it looks, it's a thinking man's game...like chess, but you get to move all of the pieces on the board all at the same time.

However, if you assignment has time to move into the slot area, this means thats someone within your line is not doing their job and is allowing the puck carrier on the other team to stand there with the puck, under no pressure.

Here's a good rule to remember when adding pressure on the other team, both in and out of your zone in which you are in...

"If you can't see the chest logo on the man you are covering, then you know he is not set up to pass and you better be on him like a fat kid on a donut." Sorry, like white on rice. "If you can see this logo on his chest, he is set up to pass, pressure is good, but don't find yourself caught up or you are going to be let behind out of the play and then they might have an "odd man rush". That's like really playing shorthanded. You might as well come to the bench. Or back check like a son of a...well you get the point.

Now, how to defend a 5 on 4? Well, that's a whole different game, one that needs to be on a different thread.

Head coach