Thread: Wristshot help?
View Single Post
Old
08-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Islander102

vCash: 500
Legs. You need your weight to transfer from your back leg onto your shot. If youre stationary it is about putting your strong leg further from the goal, like a baseball swing, and pushing the momentum forwards. If you are in motion, you have your strong leg ahead, and lift up your back leg, forcing the weight and momentum to transfer onto your strong leg, and on to your shot. This is the most important thing to get down pat. It may lead to a slow release, but once you get it down pat, you can work on transferring the weight quicker, and quicker, and quicker. But you have to transfer the weight from your legs first, or no matter what you do with your arms, you are never going to get a powerful shot. Start with the basics (getting your legs into the shot), and then work on getting that transfer done quicker.

Look at Gaborik or Kovalchuk, who IMO have the two best shots among FWs in the league. See how quick they get it off, it would lead you to think its all wrists and arms, but look at their legs when they shoot. Theyre transferring their leg weight in a nanosecond. In order to be able to do that, you have to get your weight transfer down pat first. I am the lightest weighing, but hardest shooting player on my team because I (out of necessity from not being the bulkiest guy on the ice) get my legs into every shot I take. The weakest players legs are generally stronger than the strongest players arms, so its imperative that everyone knows how to use them properly.

That isnt for just the shot too. IF you know how to get the most out of your legs, which most players playing beer league dont, you will be able to out muscle bigger and stronger players in front of the net and along the boards, who dont have the right technique.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote