View Single Post
Old
04-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Thornton97

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings
Congrats to Spezza, he had a great year and I don't want this to sound like sour grapes because Spezza is a deserving winner. One question though. Why do they vote on MVP (and all the awards that matter) before the season is over? Cammalleri still has an outside shot at 50 goals and to tie or pass Spezza for the scoring title. It's a small shot but he still has the chance to do it. Because if Cammalleri did pull it off I'd think he'd be deserving of the MVP. I just thought it funny that they do the voting and announce the all the awards before the season is over because if someone who played very consistently all season really comes on strong at the end of the season with a dominating performance the AHL has already voted on their awards. I'm guessing they did the voting for these awards 3-4 weeks ago.
Of course I am biased, but I'll share my thoughts.

I love watching Spezza. Seen him a few times live this season, a couple times right next to the glass. I think he is deserving of the award, but I think Cammalleri is moreso and I don't think Squidy needs to "score 50" or "pass Spezza" for the scoring lead.

When Lehoux went down, and the Monarchs suffered ridiculous numbers of injuries (LA Kings East), Cammalleri was the one who pulled this team together. He always scored the big goal; he always put the Monarchs in a position to win every night regardless of who was in the game or who was on his wing. Without Spezza, the Sens are fighting it out with the Phantoms for tops in the division. Without Cammalleri, I see the Monarchs fighting it out for a place in the playoffs.

Like I said, I am biased and I admit that. I also absolutely love Spezza. But I just think that Cammalleri was more important to his team than Spezza was to his.