Thread: Speculation: Wishful Thinking
View Single Post
Old
08-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post
If I were building a team and had the choice to build around Marleau or Thornton.. I would take Thornton without any shadow of a doubt.

Sorry, Thornton is more valuable to a team than Marleau.. and this goes beyond goals, assists, or +/-. It's about what he does for a team, and that is significantly raise the play of his line-mates.
I can understand that line of thinking but I would go the other way and take Marleau. Yeah, Thornton makes his teammates better but the flip side of that coin is that the guys that he actually makes better become heavily dependent on him to do the work. That's not a team I want to build. Nobody is going to mistake Marleau for a supreme playmaker but his speed creates time and space for his teammates, he finishes very well, and is reliable in every situation. Nobody is going to be dependent on Marleau to do the work and that creates less of a crutch for players playing with him.

If Thornton wasn't so one-dimensional out of his own choosing, I'd think differently about him. However, because of his mental game, he limits himself and is not the leader I'd want for the team.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote