View Single Post
Old
08-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Headcoach

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDwoot View Post
Exelent information guys. Thanks . I asked a goalie friend of mine if the "hockey sense" is somthing learned or it just happends. He said that it's a little of both. The higher level I play the more the players will play in their zones and I will be able to read the play eaiser.
Believe it or not, the foundation for good Hockey Sense starts with knowing this simple rule that I talked about above. Example: If you know this rule..."Puck must move from Strong Side to Weak Side." then you will not have problems.

Why? If everyone on the team knows this basic rule, then they have a starting point into which they can start to read and react. It's really quite simple. If you know the puck is within your defensive corner, then you know that if the rule holds true, then you know that puck is going to go to the other side of the defensive zone. So by knowing this, you can start to adjust your play to accommodate that rule...get it!

Ok, I know what you are going to ask next..."What if the puck is within the neutral zone...how what"? Answer: Let’s say you are at the face off dot at the start of the game and the puck goes back to one of the defenseman. Then you know that if the rule hold true, it will be passed to the other defenseman with a "D to D" pass...get it?

Now, there is one more rule that you need to follow and it goes like this..."The player without the puck goes behind!"

This second rule hold true in whatever zone you are in and it is with respect to the attacking goal. Example: If the puck goes to your defenseman and someone on the other team is chasing him (which sometimes happens). If the defenseman starts to move or skate, from the Strong side over to the Weak side with the puck, then the defenseman on the weak side must cross behind him to go and cover the other side...get it!

You see, zoning is one of the must important things to know when playing at a higher level. If you have control over the puck and you move into someone else’s zone, then they have to leave that zone and go into your zone to cover that zone in which you just left. But on their way over there into that new position, they will have to skate or cross over into that zone from behind you into that new zone. Why? Have you ever seen to defensemen cross behind the net? How do they keep from hitting each other...player without the puck goes behind!

Ah, this is the second rule or foundation in learning how to read and react. If you know or see someone that is heading into your skating lane as you are going up the ice, or within your defensive zone and he hasn't head manned the puck to you, chances are that the knucklehead will not pass the puck to you. But that doesn't mean that you are not responsible for positioning on the line, as you attack.

If the knucklehead crosses over into your zone, then you must cross into his zone by crossing over behind him. Why? Because that's the rule, if everyone on the team will follow this rule, then everyone on your team that is on the ice will be able to read and react, and follow the natural progression of the play. This is like a silent communicator.

Plus, on the attack, it better to place doubt in the mind of the defender. By weaving in the neutral zone (player without the puck goes behind) you send a message to the defender that you will keep the puck, or...you might pass it to the guy crossing over behind. But if you go up the ice into someone else’s zone, and they don't cross over into the zone that you just left, then the defender will be able read the play and that both of you at the same time.

Nope this helps
Head coach

Last edited by Headcoach: 08-16-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote