View Single Post
Old
10-02-2003, 07:29 PM
fcbarcelona

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upon1
Anyone that watched the game got a description of the Selanne and Kariya pp goals?

I have read most of the recaps around the net and none give a description of those two goals. Any help will be more than welcome
The Kariya goal stemmed from a solid Joe Sakic pass on the PP. I believe Derek Morris shot the puck into the Stars zone on the right wing and three Avs players intercepted it in the left half boards of the stars' zone. There was a scramble between these avs players and two stars defenders. Eventually the puck squezzed out to Sakic, who stationed himself in the corner. As he was being hooked he waited for Kariya (or the high point defenseman) to scooter into the slot. Super Joe found Kariya who one timed it, glove side, on Turco.

The Teemu Selanne goal resulted from some more lackluster play by the Stars defenders. Again the Avs were on the PP. Svatos was intelligent enough to wait for a stars winger and defender to come close to him before he passed the puck to Selanne in the corner. Teemu subsqeuntly stpped around the net, shot the puck, and knocked on the rebound on Turco's glove side.

These goals were mediocre. I thought the Avs tried to be too fancy today. Nonetheless, it is just an exhibition game and I'm sure they just want to try some new things out with their great load of offensive weapons. The Avs appear to be very deep at the forward position this year indeed. Totally revamped in comparison to the inept forwards of last season.